I talk about a lot of different things on this blog and one of the main things I enjoy talking about are different ways to lead a healthier lifestyle. This is where yoga comes into play. Yoga has many benefits and is easier on the joints than running and other exercises. Yoga can help you get into shape, lose weight, and so much more.
There are several physical benefits of yoga:
- Increased flexibility – Have you ever tried yoga? If you have then you know there is a lot of toe touching, and when you first start doing yoga, you may not be able to touch your toes. Trust me, keep at it and before you know it you will be more flexible than you ever new possible.
- Increased muscle tone and strength – Yoga includes a lot of moves that require you to shift your weight and in return, you are getting a stregth workout. This helps improve your muscle strength and tone. Having strong muscles can help protect your from injury and help improve back pain.
- Improved posture – Yoga helps you focus on your posture, meaning that with practice, your posture will improve. Think about how heavy your head is. If you move your head forward or backward just a little you can strain your muscles. With a properly alligned spine you can decrease the strain on your back and neck.
- Improved respiration – Yoga helps you to focus on your breathing, meaning that you take deep controlled breaths while working out. This leads to improved respiration and improved oxygenation to your organs.
- Lowers your blood pressure – Yoga consists of several relaxation poses and there have been studies showing that doing one of these poses a day can significantly lower your blood pressure.
- Increased energy – As with any exercise, yoga will actually increase your energy levels, either by relaxing you and helping you get a better night’s sleep or by releasing feel good endorphins during your workout just like if you would go for a run.
- Weight loss – Yoga can help you confront eating issues on a deeper level. It can also help you to make more conscious decisions about what you are eating and help you make better food choices.
While the physical benefits are great, there are also several mental benefits. Yoga helps you focus on your breathing and helps relax you. This can help clear your mind when you are stressed, which can also help calm you. It can also help you relax before bed and get a better night’s sleep.
These are just a few of the benefits of Yoga. I am sure if you start doing yoga you will discover many more that you never thought were possible.
Do you do yoga on a regular basis? What benefits have you noticed? If you don’t do yoga, do you think you will try it now?
To see what else I have talked about during the A to Z Challenge, check out my “A” post.