Personally, I hate the word “diet”. I can’t stand the thought of restricting what I eat in an effort to lose weight. It usually ends up one of two ways. Either I am so hungry that after a couple of days I eat everything in the house and give up on dieting because I am hungry and angry, or I get tired of watching while everyone else is eating cake and ice cream and I am left in the corner munching on a carrot stick.
Now, the second situation is one that is hard to avoid. I have a hard time restraining myself when it comes to junk food, so I just try to avoid having it in the house. If I do have it in the house though, I try my best to control myself. I don’t want to punish my husband and daughter, so there are times that I will buy things that I don’t like so they can have treats and I won’t be tempted.
The first situation is something that is significantly easier to control though. I keep an assortment of food in the house that I can eat that will help keep me full. If you have ever tried to go to sleep with an empty stomach you know that this can be the downfall of your diet, so having healthy snacks can help you stick to your diet. One thing to mention, when it comes to fruits and vegetables I don’t limit myself. If I want 5 apples (OK, a little exaggeration, but still) I don’t limit myself. I will try to limit the amount of peanut butter I have with them, but when it comes to fruits and vegetables I don’t limit how many I have.
Here is my list of healthy, diet friendly snacks I keep in the house:
- Apples and peanut butter
- Frozen steamable veggies (broccoli and cauliflower are my favorite)
- Celery and peanut butter
- Greek yogurt (maybe some fruit to dip in it)
- Water, water, and more water (sometimes you think you are hungry but you are really thirsty)
- Strawberries (if they are on sale)
- Frozen fruits for smoothies if it’s winter and fruits are out of season
- Unsalted almonds
- Hard boiled eggs
- Tuna and whole grain crackers
- I also keep Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips around the house for when I have a craving for chocolate (plus they are allergy friendly so I can share with my daughter)
What do you enjoy eating when you are trying to lose weight? Have you discovered something that can satisfy your cravings?