When 2016 started, as many of you probably did, I set some goals for the year. I didn’t want to call them resolutions for fear that I would give up on them after the first month. I did decide to list out my goals for my blog in my first post of the year, but I didn’t list all of my goals. I struggled to find a “G” idea for my A to Z Challenge, so I thought what better time to update you all on my goal progress so far!
First my blogging goals as outlined in my first post of the year:
- Publish one post every day this year. So far I have done great! I have posted one post every day so far this year and I am well on my way to continuing.
- Use an editorial calendar. Check! I have to say that I am very proud of myself for this one. I have been using an editorial calendar for the entire year so far. I try to plan out the month’s posts in advance so I know what I will be writing about and when I will have room for guest posts or sponsored posts. I change these around as needed, but it’s still nice to have it all planned out.
- Write every day. I have to say that while I have been doing great about this, I don’t write every day. I would say I write at least 5 or 6 days a week, but when I work a 12 hour shift it is hard to get in the mood to write when I get home.
- Take advantage of scheduling posts. This is the only way I have been able to publish one post per day. I can write a post in advance and schedule it for when I want it to go live. (This post was written 3 days ago.) I am so glad I figured out how to make it work! The editorial calendar helps with this as well because I know what date to pick for the post.
- Try to be a week ahead of schedule. I wanted to do this to make sure I had posts scheduled so I could accomplish my goal of publishing one post per day. Currently I am anywhere from 3-5 days ahead of schedule, which is nice and gives me some room, but not where I would like to be. It seems like everytime I get ahead though, something comes up and I can’t write for a day or two. I will try to be better at this (I have 3 weeks I would like to take off in July).
- Always be on the lookout for post ideas. I could be better at this one. For some reason I don’t look at posts and see how I could write it differently to fit my site.
- Write down post ideas. I am great at this while I am at my computer, with my editorial calendar open, any other time, nope. I just think that I will remember it and I never do.
- Participate in the April A to Z Challenge. Check! Currently participating and I have my posts planned, I just need to write them and schedule them. Now to survive the challenge!
- Take is one week, one month at a time. I do this because I just plan out one month in advance and I just worry about this week before moving on to the next week.
- Accept guest posts. I haven’t accepted as many guest posts as I would have liked, but at the same time I have to keep up the quality of the posts on this site, so while I have turned a lot away, it is for good reason.
- Write more guest posts. I haven’t written as many as I would have liked. Originally I wanted to write 3 guest posts per month which hasn’t happened. I also wanted to reach a total of 50 guest posts, which again, hasn’t happened. I do have a couple of other great blogs that I will be a regular contributor on so hopefully I will get back to it when I have time.
Each one of these goals are designed to help me achieve my larger goal of publishing every day and getting more views and regular readers of my blog. The idea with a large goal is to break it down into smaller goals.
Now, for my personal goals.
I have several personal goals for the year, some big and some small. Some are related to my health and others are not. I am on my way to achieving these goals though. These are all goals that I want to accomplish by the end of this year.
- Lose 60 pounds. I thought that 60 pounds was a good goal for the year. If I break it down that is just 5 pounds per month. I thought that this would be easy to achieve. Unfortunately I haven’t done so great on this one, only 2 pounds down so far. On the other hand though, if you read on I am moving more and my stamina is up. Every month I move more than the previous month. I have decided that it isn’t just about the number on the scale, the fact that I am moving more, eating healthier, and I feel better is enough for me to know what I am doing is good for my health.
- 366 miles this year. So I wanted to make sure I was moving more this year and I decided to make a goal of one mile per day this year. I am well on my way to accomplish this goal. From January 1st to March 31st I have done 193.99 miles according to my Fitbit. What’s more, I averaged 1.38 miles per day in January and in March I averaged 3.28 miles per day, meaning I improved my average by almost 2 miles in 2 months. I hope to keep this up and reach 5 miles per day! Just as a side note, I only counted days where I walked or ran at least 1 mile.
- Run a 10 minute mile. My brother is a Marine and I would love to run with him and keep up, so I want to run a 10 minute mile. I am doing good at this one. I have run a 12 1/2 minute mile, so I just need to increase my speed a little more (I started at a 15 minute mile at the beginning of the year).
- Eat out less. I started using a bullet journal this year to help me keep track of this, but I would say that we are eating out just as much as usual.
- Save money for a down payment on a house. My husband and I want to build a house and you have to have a down payment for this. I am doing good with this one, I have saved 75% of what I would like to save so far.
- Pay off credit cards. Again, this one is to help me save money for a house, and I only have 1 more payment to pay off my last credit card.
- Pay off my husbands truck. Again, to help me save more money for a house, but at the same time it is nice to actually own the truck and not be paying on it any more. Yup, this one is done!
- Finish our basement. We had a flood in our basement just months after moving in and had to tear up all the tile. Before we sell our house we have to get the tile replaced and we decided to just finish the basement and make a half bath out of the toilet in our basement. This one is currently a work in progress.
- Publish 6 books. I have published 2, so I am well on my way to meeting my goal for this one. (Feel free to check out my books, they are on the sidebar.)
- Sell 1200 books. Yikes, that was maybe a very ambitious goal for my first year, but that is just 100 books per month. Either way, I have done horrible at this one, just a few books sold so far.
I have so many goals for the year and luckily I am doing well on most of them. There are a few that I could improve on, but if I keep up I will easily achieve the majority of my goals by the end of the year, or sooner!
What goals do you have? How close are you to meeting your goals for the year?
Visit my “A” post for more of my A to Z Challenge posts.
This post is also a part of the Gratitude and Goals link party.