Last week we talked a lot about breastfeeding because it was World Breastfeeding Week. All of August is National Breastfeeding Awareness month, but they don’t have a National Formula Feeding or Bottle Feeding Awareness month. Because of that, today’s post is all about breastfeeding vs. formula: what is best for baby?
- Working. Some moms have to go to work full time after they have a baby and they don’t want to have to worry about pumping during the day.
- Mom’s physical health. Some moms have a physical health condition prior to pregnancy that she has to take medicine for, and sometimes she has to start on the medicine after she delivers. Some of these medicines are not compatible with breastfeeding, but breastfeeding is not best if it is not good for moms health.
- Mom’s mental health. Again, mom may have to take medicine, but some moms may be anxious about how much milk they are making and if they are making enough milk. This is not good for the baby or for mom.
- Baby’s health. Believe it or not, some babies cannot handle breast milk. Even if mom takes out everything that she believes is making the baby sick, some moms just cannot do this.
- Pain. I will never forget why I stopped breastfeeding, the pain was horrible. I still don’t know why I had so much pain, and I will try again with the next baby, but the pain was horrible. I wanted to lay with nothing on my chest because just a t-shirt touching my nipples hurt.
- Mom just wants some sleep. Those first few weeks are hard. Mom is sore, tired, hormonal, and not to mention, watching dad snooze while she gets up to feed the baby every couple of hours. Sometimes it is just too much for the new mom to handle and she just wants some help.
- Breastfeeding just may not appeal to mom. Some moms just don’t like the idea of breastfeeding, and that is fine too.
Breast milk may be the best thing nutritionally for baby, but when it comes down to it, how you feed your baby has to be best for mom too. If mom is not health or happy, it is not the best option for baby.
So, in honor of all those moms who decided not to breastfeed for whatever reason, this post is for you. As I said, we don’t get the National Awareness Week or Month like breastfeeding does, so I am dedicating today to all of us formula feeding moms!
Did you decide formula was best for you and your baby? If you want to share why you made this decision, I would love to hear it!