Designing your blog is a huge aspect of running a blog. If you don’t put any time or effort into designing your blog your blog can end up looking generic or spammy. You only have a few seconds to make a great first impression, and if your blog doesn’t look great, you may lose readers. That is why you should take designing your blog very seriously and these tips will help.
- Use a few appealing colors. You want your blog to be appealing to the eyes so you should use colors that are easy on the eyes. You don’t want to use all neon colors as it will make it hard for people to look at your site for a long period of time. You also don’t want to use a lot of colors because it can be overwhelming. I suggest choosing no more than 5 colors for your blog.
- Use colors that compliment each other. This goes with using just a few appealing colors. You want to stick to colors that compliment each other and look good together. Would you wear neon pink pants, a bright red shirt, and orange shoes? I hope not, so don’t do it to your blog. If you have trouble finding colors that compliment each other, you can easily find free color scheme generators online, such as Coolors (my favorite).
- Use easy to read and see colors. Again, with colors you want to make sure they are easy to see and read. You don’t want your readers to have to struggle to read your posts. If you are using light green, neon colors, or yellow for your posts, it can be very hard to read and strain your eyes. Personally, if I come across a site where the posts are hard to read, I will leave the site without reading a single post.
- Use only a few fonts. Using a lot of fonts can make it difficult for your readers to focus on the reading. You should pick 2-3 easy to read fonts. If you like the fancy fonts that is fine, but I would use only one really fancy font, and I would use it for headlines, not the content of your posts.
- Don’t highlight everything. I have been on blogs that highlight everything they write. It makes it hard to read. Again, I will leave a blog that does this for the whole post.
- Simple is better. When designing your blog, simple can be better. If you over clutter your blog it can look spammy and your readers won’t find it visually appealing.
- Make your site mobile friendly. Most blog traffic comes from mobile devices, meaning that you can be losing out on a lot of traffic if your site is not mobile friendly.
- Match your photos to your blog design. Designing photos that are great for pinterest is an important aspect of running a successful blog. When designing these photos, you need to try to match the design of your blog so they fit in and don’t look out of place.
- Don’t make music or videos automatically play. One thing I hate is when I come to a blog and it has a video or music that starts instantly. Not only does it slow down the loading speed, but chances are I am looking at your blog while my daughter is sleeping. If it plays music or video, I will be leaving so it doesn’t wake her up. Chances are I won’t come back either. Not all of your readers will like the same music you do either.
- When all else fails, hire a blog designer. Sometimes designing your blog can be overwhelming, so if you find yourself overwhelmed and just don’t know what to do or where to start. Hire a professional blog designer because they know what they are doing and how to make an appealing website.
There are a lot of things you need to think about when designing your your to make sure that everything looks great and like a cohesive design. Keeping these things in mind when designing your blog can help make your site visually appealing.
Did you design your blog? Would you add any other tips?