Last Friday I talked about the different blog stats you need to watch. I know that post brings up a lot of different questions. For example, how do you improve blog stats? It can be as easy or as hard as you make it.
- Great content. As with everything else in blogging, you have to provide your readers with great content that they will want to read. This will keep them on your blog longer, keep them exploring, and most importantly, keep them coming back. This is the best way to improve blog stats because the more people visit your blog and the more pages they visit on your blog mean your site is more valuable, improving your ranks.
- Regularly update. Google, along with other search engines and ranking companies, look for sites that are updated on a regular basis. This means you are making it a point to keep your content fresh and updated. This will also help keep your readers coming back for more. If you don’t post on a regular basis, your readers will never know when to come back, leading to inconsistent traffic. It is recommended that you update your site, at a minimum, weekly.
- Get quality backlinks to your blog. These are links that are gained by guest posting or linking to your blog when you comment on another blog. You want to link on relevant blogs, and not just random blogs. Another great way to get backlinks is by writing a post that another blogger can reference in a post, this is the best kind of backlink because it is placed there because it is valuable, not just because.
- Use internal links as well. Getting quality backlinks is not just about getting links from other sites, having links in your post to other posts you have written can help. You see the links in this post? They are all links to other posts that I have written on this site, and they are relevant to this post, making them quality backlinks.
- Make your content easy to share. One of the best ways to get more traffic is through social media. Making your content easy to share will increase the chance that someone will share your post on social media, increasing the chance that potential new readers will find your site. This is especially important in the early stages of your blog when you don’t rank high in search engine results. It is also important to make images for Pinterest, as this can be a huge source of traffic. (Currently, about 33% of my traffic comes from social media, and 80% of that comes from Pinterest.)
- Have a email list. There are a couple of ways you can do this. You can send them an automatic update with every post you write, but personally I don’t like these kinds of emails because I get too many and they clutter my inbox. Your other option is to have an email list that you send a newsletter to every so often, either weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly with an update about all the new things on your blog. I personally like these because I get one email a week or so and I can choose which posts I am interested in reading. Having an email list helps readers find you again because it can be hard with so many different blogs out there for them to find you.
- Make sure your site is optimized for mobile use. Almost 70% of my traffic is from people using a mobile device, either a smartphone, tablet, or other mobile device. If your site is not optimized for mobile devices and doesn’t have a responsive design, you can miss out on all this traffic, which will not help any of your ranks.
- Make your site easy to navigate. Have your categories listed somewhere so your readers can click on the ones they are interested in. Also, having an archives list and search bar will help them find past posts easier. Making your posts easier to find will help keep visitors on your site longer and make them want to come back for more
- Be patient. It takes time to improve blog stats, it’s not going to happen over night. First off, domain authority is only updated a few times a year. Second, readers are not going to find your blog over night, it will take time for them to find your blog and deem it good enough to read on a regular basis.
The most important thing, when blogging is to create great quality content. When creating great content your readers will explore your site more and they are more likely to keep coming back.
What advice do you have to improve blog stats?