Ahh, the first day of the year and everyone is coming up with New Year’s Resolutions. As it is Friday and I usually post about blogging on Fridays it’s only fitting that I write about my blogging goals for 2016.
I have a lot of goals for my blog, including gaining more regular followers, writing more posts that are requested from readers, possibly earning some money (at least enough to cover the expenses of running the blog), and so much more. The thing about it is that all of this boils down to just one thing, writing more posts.
The best way to get more traffic and more loyal readers is to post on a regular basis. That is what my goal is for 2016. I want to post at least one post per day for the entire year of 2016. I thought I would share with you my plan to make this happen this year. That way if you have a similar goal you may be able to use some of my plan to help you meet your goals.
- Use an editorial calendar. I have recently started using an editorial calendar to try to stay organized and plan ahead. I have found that it helps me plan my posts ahead of time and know which posts I need to write. I try to plan out a month in advance, but I can change things around if needed.
- Write every day. I have learned that writing every day is the only way you can stay on top of posting for your blog so I want to try to keep up the habit and write at least a little bit every day during 2016.
- Take advantage of scheduling posts. I love that I can schedule a post on WordPress to “go live” even if I am not logged on. I plan to take advantage of this more in 2016 to help when I am not able to log on or when I have other things going on.
- Try to be a week ahead of schedule. I hate waiting until the last minute to do anything, so I want to try to have posts written and scheduled for at least a week in advance. This doesn’t mean I can’t change things around, but it will help if I get behind because life gets in the way sometimes.
- Always be on the lookout for post ideas. Post ideas are everywhere you look so I want to always be on the lookout for blog post ideas. Instead of passing them up I want to make sure I keep track of them somewhere since they may fit into my blog one day.
- Write down post ideas. I have a bad habit of thinking of great post ideas when I lay down to go to bed but I don’t want to get my phone out or write down my ideas. I sit and think about them for an hour, then the next morning I forget about the idea. I want to try to make it a habit to write them down no matter where I am or what I am doing so I don’t miss out on those great ideas!
- Participate in the April A to Z blogging challenge. In April there is this challenge where you post once a day every day in April, except Sundays, starting with A and ending with Z. Basically the blog post title starts with the corresponding letter for each day, it should be fun. It seems easy enough, but I am up for the challenge and I will still post on Sundays.
- Take it one week, one month at a time. Making smaller goals is the best way to accomplish a large goal. If I miss one day I can try to make up for it by publishing an additional post on another day, or just take it as it is and do better next month.
- Accept guest posts. I have been accepting guest posts, but I hope to accept more in 2016. I am very picky about the guest posts I accept anymore, but if you are interested in guest posting here, check out my guest post guidelines. Make sure you read through them before you email me because if you don’t follow them I will delete the email.
- Write more guest posts. To get more readers and to improve my writing skills I want to try to write more guest posts. I have a goal of 50 total and I am halfway there, but I would like to write at least 3 guest posts a month in 2016. If I reach my goal of 50 I will increase my goal. If you want to keep up on my progress, you can check out my list of guest posts.
So far I am doing great on my goals (haha, it’s only the first day). I know that if I follow all these little goals I can meet my overall blogging goal of posting every day in 2016.
Keep that in mind with every goal, the best way to accomplish it is to make smaller goals and as you accomplish the smaller goals you will get closer to your larger, overall goal.
What are your blogging goals for 2016? How do you plan to accomplish these goals? Do you have any tips you would like to add?