Last month I talked about my goals, both my personal goals and my goals for this blog. I found that writing them all down has helped me stick to them and try to work towards them more than when I wasn’t writing them down and sharing them.
From that point on I decided that I would update my goals with my progress every month and share them here on the blog to give me the extra encouragement and motivation I need while possibly even helping someone else realize their dreams and goals.
Let’s start with my blogging goals:
- Publish one post every day this year. Last month I kept on track and I have published at least one post per day, even with my crazy hectic schedule! Some days I am not sure how I will get to write, and I still manage to get a post published. There are even more things going on in the next month and a half (more on that later in the post), but I think if I keep at it I will still be able to get once post a day up.
- Use an editorial calendar. I have been doing really good with this and I continue to do well with it. I have to say that it does wonders for helping me stay on schedule and keep posting daily. I already have my editorial calendar planned out for May and I have several posts already scheduled for June and July as well. (This has become habit, so I will be removing this one next month.)
- Write every day. Again, most days I am able to write at least a little, but there are times that I just don’t have time, like when I am working a 12 hour shift, 2 days in a row. I still try to take time out of the day to at least come up with a few more post ideas or spend some time thinking about the blog and the direction I want to go.
- Take advantage of scheduling posts. This has been a lifesaver! Again, some days I am not able to write, so being able to schedule posts has been the only way to reach my goal of publishing one post a day. I am so glad that I have this capability and I plan to continue taking advantage of it. (This one has become habit as well, so I will be removing this one next month as well since I have achieved it.)
- Try to be a week ahead of schedule. I am not a week ahead of schedule, plain and simple. This past weekend though I didn’t have to work because I took the weekend off for my daughter’s birthday party, so I was able to write a few posts to get further ahead. I am (as of writing this post) 5 days ahead, if I can keep it up, then I will be a week ahead of schedule soon, but with everything going on it may not last long.
- Always be on the lookout for post ideas. I could still be better at this one. I signed up over at ProBlogger for their list of 6 months worth of blog post ideas, though they haven’t helped much. I am sure that I can work them all in somehow, but it’s just rewording them and getting them to fit in. I am not very creative when it comes to this so I still need to work on it. Hopefully I can start looking out for more post ideas in the future!
- Write down post ideas. I am still pretty good about this when I have my editorial calendar open, but otherwise I am horrible at writing down ideas. I really need to work on this one still.
- Participate in the April A to Z Challenge. Sure did, and not only did I participate, but I survived and finished out the challenge with one post for every letter of the alphabet. If you want to check out what I wrote about, you can head on over to the first of the series. (Since this one is completed I will be removing it as well)
- Take it one week, one month at a time. I am pretty good about this, though sometimes I write posts out of order, I always make sure to finish one week of posts before moving on to the next week if possible. Even though I already have posts planned for part of June and July though, I only plan out the current month, I only add post ideas to other months when I have the current month planned and I come up with a great idea for a post I don’t want to forget about.
- Accept guest posts. As with last month, I haven’t accepted many guest posts this past month. I haven’t had many quality offers though. For the most part the people asking about guest posts are people with very poor English and grammar skills so it is easier and takes less time for me to just write the post. I have accepted a couple of sponsored posts though, but even those are few and far between because I want to make sure the links are relevant to my readers and are not spammy. Being so picky about posts is a good thing because it makes sure that you, my readers, are only getting the best posts, but it also puts a lot more pressure on me to write everyday, but it is worth it to keep you coming back!
- Write more guest posts. Last month was crazy busy with the A to Z Challenge and other things going on. Like I mentioned last month though, I have a couple of sites that I will be a regular contributor on and I am in the works to work with a couple of other blogs for the year. Hopefully I can write a few posts for them as well!
Each of these goals will help me reach my overall goal of growing my blog and helping others. There were a few posts that I mentioned above that will be removed next month because they have become habit or they are completed. I think that this means it is time to come up with a couple of other goals to take their place, which I will list next month.
MY PERSONAL GOALS.
I have listed out my goals for the year for my blog, but now for my personal goals. I also want to reach these by the end of the year, and while I am very close, I still have a lot of work to do.
- Lose 60 pounds. So last month I had only lost about 2 pounds total. As of April 29th, I have lost almost 4 pounds,which is great! Even just one pound down is an accomplishment, so it is something to be proud of. As long as I can keep it up I will reach my goal!
- 366 miles this year. I decided to make a goal of moving more this year and in that I decided to try to run or walk at least 366 miles this year. That means I just have to average at least a mile a day. In April, that means I needed to do just 30 miles total, well I surpassed that and made it 53.27 miles. That means in total, from January 1 to April 30 I have 247.26 miles under my belt. I use my Fitbit to track my progress. I had a Fitbit Flex and I didn’t feel like it really tracked that accurately because I would run 2.5 miles on the treadmill and it would only say 1.5 miles. I recently upgraded to a Fitbit Charge HR and I feel that it does a much better job of tracking my steps. I will tell you all about it in a later post once I have a chance to try it out more. Just as a side note, I only counted days where I walked or ran at least 1 mile.
- Run a 10 minute mile. My brother is a Marine and I would love to run with him and keep up, so I want to run a 10 minute mile. I am doing good at this one. I have run a 12 1/2 minute mile, so I just need to increase my speed a little more (I started at a 15 minute mile at the beginning of the year). This one hasn’t changed in the past month unfortunately, but I will keep tracking it and hopefully reach my goal by July, when my brother will be home!
- Eat out less. We did really good last month on this, but this month has been busier and we have been have eating out more unfortunately. There are changes coming in the future though that will ensure we are eating out less.
- Save money for a down payment on a house. My husband and I wanted to build a house or even move to a larger house if we could find one we like, but you need to have a downpayment for either of these. Well, my husband and I went to look at a house that my husband kept saying he didn’t think he would like. I thought if nothing else, we would get an idea for what we wanted to build. When we looked at it though, it is almost exactly what we wanted to build. It is one bedroom less and I don’t have a mudroom, but we both decided that we could deal with this and put an offer in on the house. The seller counter offered and we accepted it, so if all goes well we will be moving in just a few short weeks. It really is our dream home and I am so happy that we have finally found what we are looking for in a house. It is an open floor plan, just like I want, and it is a newly built house so we shouldn’t have to sink a lot of money in it like we have the house we have now. Also, this is the change that will take up a lot of my time as I need to pack. Also, because of the location of the house, we won’t be able to eat out as often because there are no fast food places close by, literally, none within 25+ miles!
- Pay off credit cards. I am doing great with this one. Honestly, I should have the card paid off in the next month as I only have one that isn’t always paid off. I have a few others that I have put bills on so they are paid automatically, but I pay those cards of every month. The only reason I did this was to help our credit to help us get approved for a mortgage loan.
- Finish our basement. This is a work in progress, but we would love to be able to have this one done within the next month or so. It would be nice to put our current house on the market as soon as we move into our new house because the sooner we can sell this one, the less time we will have 2 mortgages to pay and the quicker we can make a little money to buy furniture for our new house. It will be nice because we have only ever had hand-me-down couches and such, we have never bought anything new.
- Sell our current house. I am adding this goal this month. Not sure when we will close on the new house, I am guessing it won’t be until June, but still the sooner we can sell this house the sooner we can get out of this mortgage and have a little extra money for furniture for the new house. Honestly there are a lot of things I would like to buy. A couch because we have never had a new couch, they have always been given to us, which is nice, but they have never matched my decor. Also, the new house has a dining room, which we don’t have now, so I would like to get a dining room table and chairs. Anyway, it would be nice just to sell this house so we don’t have 2 mortgages at once. We can do it, but if we don’t have to I don’t want to.
- Publish 6 books. I have published 2, so I am well on my way to meeting my goal for this one. We are starting on our third one, so hopefully I will meet this goal. (Feel free to check out my books, they are on the sidebar.)
- Sell 1200 books. Yikes, that was maybe a very ambitious goal for my first year, but that is just 100 books per month. Either way, I have done horrible at this one, just a few books sold so far.
I have so many goals for the year and luckily I am doing well on most of them. There are a few that I could improve on, but if I keep up I will easily achieve the majority of my goals by the end of the year, or sooner!
What goals do you have? How close are you to meeting your goals for the year?