We all have people who have influenced our lives, some more than others. Maybe there is just one person who stands out in your mind or maybe there are several. Maybe they are real people and maybe they are make believe. No matter who they are they have influenced you in one way or another.
For me, there are about 10 people I can think of when I think of people who have influenced me.
- My mom – We didn’t have a great relationship when I was growing up, but once I moved out we became closer. Over time I realized just how much she influenced me by showing me I can have a career and a family if I want and that I can do whatever I want.
- My step-mom – I have always been closer with my step-mom than my mom, but she has shown me the type of mom I want to be and that even if I have kids, I can go back to school one day. She is a very kind and caring woman and I don’t know where I would be without her.
- My dad – This sounds strange, but he has taught me all about the type of husband I do and don’t want, and the type of dad I want and don’t want for my kids. My dad wasn’t the best of fathers, but he at least tried when he could.
- My grandpa – My grandpa never treated me like a child. He always talked to me like I was an adult and was always honest with me about everything. He was a father figure for me when I needed one most.
- Angela – This was a nursing instructor and I have to say the best one I had. She actually took the time out to make sure that we understood the material we were learning about and made sure we saw as much as possible during our clinicals. She inspired me to be the nurse I am today!
- Stephen King – Sounds strange, but I love this author and reading his books has really encouraged me to use my imagination.
- J. K. Rowling – I love the Harry Potter books and again, J. K. Rowling has helped me to use my imagination.
- Dumbledore – This is where some people are going to think I am strange, but this fictional character has taught me a lot about life. For those of you who don’t know, Dumbledore is the headmaster in the Harry Potter books. Believe it or not, I have talked about how Dumbledore has influenced me before in a post about my favorite quotes.
- Ellen DeGeneres – My daughter and I watch the Ellen show every day, in fact it is the only time I get to cuddle with my daughter. No matter what she makes me smile and she does so many great things and rewards so many great people! (Is this enough sucking up to get her to buy my house? Just kidding!)
- My husband – No, I didn’t forget about him, but I think he has helped shape me into the person I am today! He has always supported me and pushed me when I wanted to give up. He made sure I made it through nursing school, and when we had our daughter he didn’t want me to have to work so he found a great job so I could stay home with her. He really is an amazing guy and I love him for everything he has done for our little family.
So many people have shaped me into the person I am today! It’s hard to believe how much of an impact each of these individuals have had on my life and I am so lucky to have them in my life. I don’t know what I would do without them!
Who has influenced you?
See what else I have wrote about in the Thirty Things About Me challenge.